The Petrichor

I received the phone which was crying for the attention. A voice from other side said, "Is your hotel free next to next weekend?" I replied positively. The voice said, "Well then, we want to reserve it for the college reunion." I said OK, and noted down his details. But, the very next moment I hung up, I felt as if I know this person.

I watched almost 40 summers in my life. Up to age of 26-27, everything was smooth. Living with parents & a younger brother in Bangalore, with a job in business firm. But, I lost my whole family in an accident. Everything in my life went dark. I felt I have no reason to live. Soon, I got rid of all responsibilities. I resigned job, gave whatever I had & earned. Even I wanted to end the responsibility of myself, but I felt it's too cowardly act. I cut all connections with that life and moved to Mumbai with Rs.10,000 in pocket. After much ups and downs, now I'm a receptionist in a hotel. I don't know whether my friends & relatives tried to search me.


Coming back, I typed his name in social network site [where I had only 10 friends], soon I recognized him. He was my classmate in college. Oh god, it's ridiculous. My friends are coming for reunion, that too in my hotel. Bloody hopeless coincidence. I checked his wall and discovered that there was more than a cent likes for the reunion post. Shit is happening. After many years a ghost began to lurk in my mind.

I'm not sure whether to attend or not. A conflict between hiding and flying, or its Batman vs. Superman within. I didn't know which act will be coercion & which other could be signed up……
If I go there, my friends will surely recognize me and take me to my native, which makes me to return to the former life. If I don't go, then it's differently different. Both have same effect on me. I had to make my decision. Because it is either or neither. No intermediate decision.

As days passed, eventually the thought of "attending party" got settled in heart and "not attending the party" got resided in mind. What started as conflict of thoughts has desolately turned into a quarrel between mind & heart. Hopefully not a war. Still couldn’t break the deadlock. Reunion day was getting nearer.

Finally the day has arrived. I took leave that day. The party was at 7 evening. Now it's 5pm. Still, the confusion baltering between my mind & heart. Either I have to go to the party, otherwise the usual weekend beach visit. Everything is blurring. I sat on my bike. My hand was wet as well as trembling due to nervousness  while inserting key. I kick started the bike and started to drive. I drove and drove, not knowing where to go, to be precise, I did not know to where I was driving. Just riding.


"Difference between mind and heart; your mind tells you the smart thing to do, while your heart tells you what you're going to do anyway,"

                                                                               -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment